Monday, September 13, 2010

the mad fawn typeface and Droog

I've been really enjoying graphic design lately.  It started with drawing the mad fawn logo. I wanted really long skinny ascenders and descenders and a very tall condensed look. I made an alphabet to go with it. Then I made a poster for the Dutch design collective Droog, as a fun exercise with my new typeface. I really admire many of Droog's designers. It states part of their manifesto that I really like:  

"Droog stands for a luxury of content and experiences... that change perspective on daily life whether it's...  authenticity, slowness, humor, engagement, nature, the abundance of what is scarce is true luxury." 

My goal is for my products to do that as well- having an abundance of substance over typical "luxury". Droog has a very tongue in cheek approach to design that isn't found very much in the US. It borders on fine art in the way that the object's importance is the message it's sending, not necessarily its functionality. How lovely the thoughtfulness of the design is, even if it's a little esoteric or impractical for American consumer culture to really embrace like the Dutch do. It's maybe kind of a geeky ID thing to drool over but it's worth a look around their website. 



No comments:

Post a Comment